Monday, March 5, 2012

Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway

Read: 2006

Kiss of the Fur Queen is the story of two Cree brothers who were taken from their families to be raised in one of Canada's infamous residential schools. The story follows them as adults as they come to terms with what happened to them.

It's a magical story that interweaves the compelling story of the brothers and the more mystical elements of Cree tradition. Highway's style is lyrical, but with a gritty realism that prevents it from ever seeming too purple.

I read Kiss of the Fur Queen as part of my university course on First Nations literature (as the "modern fiction" entry) and it was by far my favourite book of the course, perhaps of the entire year; and the beauty of the novel has stayed with me over the years. I can't recommend it enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment