Monday, December 29, 2008

His Dark Materials #3: The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Read: 27 December, 2008

Lyra has definitely become more passive since Will entered the story. It's a shame. I had really enjoyed having a strong female main character in book 1. Still, though, there's no lack of strong female characters overall and the story was amazing. The pace throughout the series has been just right to captivate my attention while still presenting many interesting ideas.

The ending worried me. For the longest time, it seemed to be going in the direction of the standard "and then all the loose ends were neatly wrapped up and the children who fell in love would live happily ever after together!" But then the story veered off into a completely satisfying, albeit sad, ending. I was so relieved!

I've really enjoyed this series. It can be a little violent at times, which I do understand some people having issues with. But it's a brilliant story that doesn't treat its young adults like idiots - but rather challenges its readership with "cosmic" ideas. I will definitely be recommending the series.

Other books in the His Dark Materials series:

  1. The Golden Compass

  2. The Subtle Knife

  3. The Amber Spyglass

No comments:

Post a Comment